Manufacturers and buyers have spoken—with sales of electric vehicles growing by 60% in 2021 and another 11% in the first half of 2022, there’s no denying that electric vehicles are the way of the future.
And while wait times can be as long as three years for a new EV, Kijiji Autos has seen a huge increase in listings for electric vehicles over the past year.
Recent findings of note:
- Top sellers in the EV category include the Volkswagen ID.4, Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Kona Electric and the funky Hyundai Ioniq 5
- Searches for EVs on Kijiji Autos more than doubled between the second quarter of 2021 and the second quarter of 2022, while the number of leads for electric vehicles nearly tripled.
- Over the next 12 months, we will likely see EV sales rise once more and this is likely to continue as, after 2035, sales of internal combustion cars will end altogether.
Advice from Kijiji experts
For those looking to help the environment and their wallets with the purchase of an EV, the experts at Kijiji Autos have some advice.
To make the biggest environmental impact with your EV purchase, consider the following:
- Vehicle mass – the lighter the car, the less energy it needs to move around, so if you really want to maximize sustainability, consider a compact electric car, which generates less aerodynamic drag
- Usage conditions – driving in cities and stop-start traffic zaps efficiency since the hardest your car has to work is getting itself up to speed from a standstill. Time your drives to avoid heavy traffic – you’ll go much further on a charge.
- Clean Energy Canada estimates the cost of owning an EV is significantly less than owning a gas-powered equivalent. Make sure you take advantage of the federal and provincial governments’ range of financial incentives.
Whether you’re in it for sustainability or simply for rebates, electric vehicles will become more and more ubiquitous in the coming years. With a huge increase in listings over the past year and the ability to compare makes and models from anywhere, for those looking to get into an EV vehicle, purchasing one second-hand on Kijiji Autos is likely the fastest and easiest way to do it.