The all-new 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe is the first Grand Cherokee to offer a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) variant.
“This is another important step toward achieving our global vision of Zero Emission Freedom. By 2025, we plan to offer a fully electric Jeep vehicle in every SUV segment,” stated Christian Meunier, Jeep Brand CEO.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe is scheduled to arrive in North America early in 2022.
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee lineup
The fifth-generation lineup also features the new Trailhawk trim.
The new Trailhawk features standard all-terrain tires, integrated off-road camera, Quadra-Lift air suspension with up to 28.7 cm (11.3 inches) of ground clearance, improved approach, departure and break-over angles and the Quadra-Drive II active transfer case with rear eLSD and Selec-Terrain.
The lineup also consists of Laredo, Altitude, Limited, Overland, Summit and Summit Reserve trims.
Standard on all models is the all-aluminum 3.6-litre Pentastar V-6 engine. The award-winning 5.7-litre V-8 engine is available on Overland, Trailhawk, Summit and Summit Reserve.
The 4xe propulsion system combines two electric motors, a 400-volt battery pack, 2.0-litre turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission.
- Targeting an estimated 40 km (25 miles) of all-electric range
- Estimated 4.1 Le/100 km (57 MPGe) total range of more than 708 km (440 miles)
- 375 hp and 470 lb.-ft. of torque
- Quadra Trac II 4×4 system with two-speed transfer case and 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio
- 47.4:1 crawl ratio
- 2,720 kg (6,000 lbs.) 4xe max towing capability
- 400-volt, 17-kWh EV battery
The 4xe powertrain is available on the Grand Cherokee Limited (late availability), Trailhawk, Overland, Summit and Summit Reserve trims.
4xe E Selec modes
With E Selec modes, the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe driver can tailor the hybrid powertrain to best suit each trip, whether it be commuting, off-roading or long-distance travel.
- Hybrid: Blends torque from the electric motor and gas engine. The powertrain will optimize battery and engine power to deliver the best combination of fuel efficiency and performance
- Electric: Operates on zero-emission electric power only until the battery reaches the minimum charge or the driver requests more torque (such as wide-open throttle), which engages the engine
- eSave: Prioritizes the engine, saving the battery charge for later use. The driver can also choose between Battery Save and Battery Charge during eSave via the Hybrid Electric Pages in the Uconnect 5 touchscreen
Regardless of the mode selected, the Grand Cherokee 4xe operates as a hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge.
Eco Coaching Pages let owners monitor power flow and see the impact of regenerative braking, schedule charging times to take advantage of lower electric rates and view their driving history with detail of electric and gasoline usage.
Regenerative braking is part of the 4xe system. When the driver steps on the brake pedal, the powertrain control engages the maximum available regenerative braking, up to 0.25 g, from the electric motors to slow the vehicle, augmented with the Grand Cherokee’s traditional friction brakes.
Safety and security features
The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has more than 110 advanced safety and security features.
Standard safety features across the lineup include:
- Full-Speed Collision Warning with Active Braking and Pedestrian/Cyclist Detection
- Rear Cross Path detection
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Active Lane Management
- Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist
- Advanced Brake Assist
- Blind-spot Monitoring
- ParkView rear backup camera
- Park-Sense rear park assist sensors with stop
- Switch-activated electric park brake
- Tire-pressure monitoring
Additional available safety features include:
- New Night Vision Camera with pedestrian and animal detection
- New Intersection Collision Assist
- New Drowsy Driver Detection system
- Parallel and Perpendicular Park Assist and new Traffic Sign Recognition
- New 360-degree surround-view camera system with front and rear camera washers
New Active Driving Assist (L2) hands-on-wheel and eyes-on-road automated driving are also available.
For the complete specs of the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee, click here.