The 2022 Sorento Turbo Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) SUV is the latest addition to Kia’s ‘Plan S’ electrification strategy.
It is the fourth generation Sorento model range, which was introduced last year in both gasoline-powered and turbo hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) forms.
Offering power, efficiency, all-wheel-drive capability and three-row seating accommodations, the 2022 Sorento Turbo PHEV will arrive in showrooms in the third quarter of 2021. Pricing will be announced closer to its on-sale date.
“The Sorento PHEV’s rare combination of drivability, efficiency and spaciousness will make it a compelling choice for our customers,” said Sean Yoon, President & CEO, Kia North America and Kia America.
“We’re proud to have it join the popular Sorento model range while also playing a pivotal role in the launch of Kia’s Plan S electrification strategy.”
The 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV will be offered in two trims: SX and SX-P. It will be built in Hwasung, Korea alongside the Sorento HEV.
A smooth and familiar driving experience for the 2022 Sorento PHEV comes from a sophisticated powertrain with a proven AWD system:
- A turbocharged 1.6-litre GDI 4-cylinder engine with a 66.9 kW electric motor
- 6-speed automatic transmission with standard paddle shifters
- 261 horsepower combined
- 13.8 kWh battery
- Targeted 32-mile (51.5 km) all-electric range
- Projected combined overall range of 460 miles (740 km)
- Targeted 79 MPGe Combined rating
- Standard AWD with center locking differential and Drive Mode Select with Snow Mode
The 2022 Sorento PHEV is built on the strong and versatile “N3” platform. Highlights include:
- The wheelbase is increased by nearly 1.4 inches over the previous generation of Sorento for more interior space
- Average tensile strength is improved by 4 percent compared to the previous generation of Sorento
- Improved driving dynamics, ride and handling, and noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
- Distribution of impact kinetic energy forces through the multi-load-path body structure
PHEV-specific elements include:
- Specialized rear badging
- Plug port located at rear quarter panel
- Standard 19-inch wheels
The Sorento PHEV offers 143.8 cubic feet of passenger space, the most of any PHEV SUV. It also has more second-row legroom than any PHEV SUV and is the only mainstream PHEV SUV to offer three-row seating.
The Sorento PHEV’s interior offers the following highlights:
- Standard three-row seating with second-row captain’s chairs
- Standard Syntex synthetic leather seating or available perforated leather seats
- Available aluminum sport pedals
Like the rest of the Sorento model range, the Sorento PHEV offers a wide array of available technology. Some examples include:
- 12.3-in. full digital meter cluster, a first for any Kia SUV
- Surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations
- Blind View Monitor projects a live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal
- Electrochromic rearview mirror
- A wireless smartphone charging pad
- Standard Rear Occupant Alert (ROA) uses ultrasonic sensors engineered to detect child or pet movement in the second and third rows after the doors have been locked and then can notify the driver and surrounding area by sounding the horn and illuminating the hazard lamps
UVO link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features. Some highlights include:
- Connected Routing: A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
- Connected Weather: Provides weather information for more than 25,000 cities
- Enhanced UVO voice assist feature allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions
- Advanced notifications:
- Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off notifies the driver via the UVO link app if the engine is left idling and, after a pre-selected time, turns off the engine
- 911 Connect and Roadside Assistance will automatically attempt to call 911 via the built-in UVO modem if an airbag deploys. For non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assistance and share the vehicle’s location
- Two brand-new Kia features:
- On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor uses the vehicle cameras to capture images of the vehicle’s surroundings and then share them via the Kia Access app
- Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions to the driver’s final destination if the vehicle is parked between 160m and 1.93 km away
Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems
The Sorento PHEV offers a full suite of standard Kia Drive Wise Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS).
Select safety features include:
- Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist – Rear with parallel exit: Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles travelling in the next lane. When a vehicle is “seen” in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane
- Driver Attention Warning: Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver
- Forward Collision Warning: Designed to detect a vehicle ahead in the lane and in certain conditions, calculates distance and closing speed to issue an alert to the driver if it senses a potential frontal collision
- Lane Following Assist: Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve: Leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves
- Parking Distance Warning-Reverse: Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected. The warning tone chimes faster as the vehicle gets closer to the detected object
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist: Helps detect most approaching cross-traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross-traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and may apply the brakes