GMC introduces the 2022 HUMMER EV — a super-truck with zero emissions with initial Canadian availability for fall 2022.
It will be the first fully electric addition to GMC’s lineup and will get its energy from GM’s all-new Ultium batteries and power from Ultium Drive, their proprietary EV drive units.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, President of General Motors.
At launch, the 2022 HUMMER EV will be offered in Edition 1 trim.
- Three-motor e4WD drive system that will offer the equivalent of GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower* and GM-estimated 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque*.
- 800-volt DC public fast-charging compatibility of up to 350 kW Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes HUMMER EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW public DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 160 km of range in 10 minutes of charging.
- 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system that will offer excellent range and power to three motors.
- GM-estimated 560+ km of driving range on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
- The latest version of Super Cruise, a driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving with automatic lane changing on divided and compatible roads.
- Watts to Freedom — a driver-selectable immersive experience that unleashes the full acceleration capability of the EV propulsion system, including a GM-estimated up to 0-60-mph (0-97km/h) performance in approximately 3 seconds.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions: primary gate, primary gate load stop, easy access, wide step, inner gate load stop, and inner gate with a work surface.
- Adaptive Ride Control continuous damping that is tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
- Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
- Drive Mode Control offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance — including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings — for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the HUMMER EV’s ride height by nearly two inches.
For more information about HUMMER EV and Edition 1 specs, click here.
HUMMER EV’s Drive Mode Control comes with four pre-configured modes: Normal, Tow/Haul, Off-Road, and Terrain. It also has a driver-configurable My Mode — will enable the driver to tailor the vehicle’s performance, including torque distribution, four-wheel steering, ride height, shock damping, throttle maps, brakes, and interior sound enhancement. Terrain Mode will allow the driver to negotiate challenging terrain at low speeds by simply modulating input on the accelerator pedal.
“The GMC HUMMER EV’s all-new EV platform was a blank slate that was filled out by a dedicated team of engineers who are hardcore off-road enthusiasts,” said Aaron Pfau, HUMMER EV Lead Development Engineer. “The result is an absolute off-road beast that will take you to new places.”
Some of the off-road design features include:
- Underbody armour, consisting of five skid plates/rock sliders and two underbody shields to protect the battery pack, drive units, etc.
- Independent front and rear suspension systems that are paired to the drive motors and are designed to optimize handling in off-road conditions and ride comfort on the highway
- Front e-Locker — an electronically controlled, driver-selectable locking differential that elevates traction capability by locking both front wheels, so that they turn at the same speed. Up to 100 percent of available torque can be sent to either of the front wheels for maximum traction capability and fully synchronized e4WD propulsion
- Rear virtual locker – simulates a locking differential for the dual-motor rear-drive unit. It is capable of torque vectoring, which can vary the amount of torque sent to each wheel to optimize not only traction in off-road conditions, but enhance on-road driving dynamics
- Tire Inflation/Deflation Assist — An off-roading tool that alerts the driver when a pre-determined lower tire pressure is achieved. After inputting the desired pressure, the driver manually deflates the tire and the vehicle alerts with an audible signal when it is achieved. Lower tire pressure can enable greater traction and tire grip in certain off-road driving conditions and improve ride comfort. The system can also alert the driver when inflating the tire to the desired pressure
For more information on the Drive Modes, Off-Road, and Terrain, click here.
Technology and Safety
- Energy Assist — Monitors energy use, sets up charging schedules, battery temperature conditioning, and more.
- Off-Road Widgets — Offers information related to the HUMMER EV’s selectable capabilities and performance readouts in off-road driving scenarios — everything from the ride height and eLocker engagement to compass headings, pitch/roll status, and more.
- ProGradeTrailering App — Based on the Trailering App but specifically adapted to the HUMMER EV, the app includes, Trailer Light Test, Trailer Electrical Diagnostics, Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring, Pre-Maintenance Reminders, and Departure Checklist.
- Super Cruise – A hands-free driver assistance system on divided and compatible roads and uses two advanced technology systems – a driver attention system and precision LiDAR map data.
- UltraVision – New front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. HUMMER EV offers a best-in-class number of camera views, with up to 18 available views to help increase awareness of surrounding
For more information on technology and safety, click here.
Powered by Lithium
“HUMMER EV will have the ability to take advantage of the industry’s fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers. The vehicle range will be a GM-estimated 560+ km, based on preliminary testing, with a unique ability to switch its battery pack from its native 400-volts to 800-volts for charging. A disconnect unit and mechanization within the pack enable the battery to switch from “parallel” to “series,” allowing it to add nearly 160 km of range* in ten minutes of charging.
The Ultium battery system will control the electrical currents at the charging station via algorithms that ramp down the current and switch to the other half of the pack when necessary and increase the rate of charge. The charging system is also designed to support legacy 400V charging infrastructure, without the need for a converter box or other accessories, allowing HUMMER EV to use a variety of charging stations.
For more information on Lithium power, click here.
Regen on Demand
HUMMER EV is the first GMC vehicle to offer variable Regen on Demand, a driver-controlled regenerative braking feature, which converts the kinetic energy of the truck’s forward momentum into electricity stored in the vehicle’s battery packs for maximizing the driving range.
This standard feature is compatible with all of HUMMER EV’s available drive modes. Unlike other EV regenerative braking features, Regen on Demand allows the driver to decide when and to what extent the system should be used. With the pull of a steering wheel paddle, drivers can even slow the vehicle to a full stop without engaging the brake pedal. If the driver anticipates the need to decelerate the truck, they can engage Regen on Demand before lifting off the accelerator pedal, for a greater measure of control.
For more information on EV features, click here.