The 2021 Lexus IS Series will go on sale at Lexus Dealers across Canada later this month.
One of the first things engineers targeted was enhancing body rigidity. The increased rigidity not only helps reduce unwanted noise and vibration. It also helps improve riding comfort and driving performance with enhanced response to steering input.
Overall, the new IS has lower, wider proportions. It is slightly wider, with fenders that extend to accommodate the larger available 19-inch wheels and larger diameter tires.
The interior features standard NuLuxe-trimmed seating, a dual-zone automatic climate control system with touch-sensitive controls. Finally, it’s equipped with a Smart Key with push button start. New for 2021, an 8-inch touchscreen nearly 80mm is closer to the driver for easy access to the controls. Although, a new 10.3-inch touchscreen is available. The new multimedia system features Apple CarPlay compatibility and Android Auto compatibility.
In terms of safety, the standard Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 (LSS+ 2.5) found on the new IS receives additions. For starters, the Pre-Collision System (PCS) features an enhancement to the single-lens camera and millimeter-wave radar elements to expand the response range. It can also detect a preceding bicyclist in daytime and even a preceding pedestrian in daytime and low-light conditions. At intersections, the system has improved recognition of an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian when performing a left-hand turn. It may activate typical PCS functions if needed. Additional PCS functions include Emergency Steering Assist (ESA). It is designed to assist steering within the vehicle’s lane as cued by the driver. The standard Blind Spot Monitor is designed to help detect and warn the driver of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes. Standard Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) can help to detect vehicles approaching from either side while backing out.
The 2021 IS is available in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive options. There are three distinct powertrain options available depending upon the grade:
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 RWD F SPORT Series 1 features a 2.0-litre, turbocharged and intercooled inline four-cylinder engine, mated to an eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission. This model includes 19” F SPORT wheels, heated and ventilated front seats, 8-way power adjustable front seats and F SPORT design enhancements. It offers as well as an LFA-Style full TFT gauge cluster, auto dimming exterior mirrors and rain sensing wipers.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 that delivers 260 horsepower and 236 lb.-ft. of torque to all four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. This model features 18” alloy wheels, heated, 8-way power adjustable front seats, dual zone automatic climate control, smart key system with push button start, blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert and rain sensing wipers. It may be enhanced with a variety of available upgrade packages, as follows:
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Premium Package adds ventilated front seats, a power moonroof and a heated steering wheel.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Luxury Package on this, adding 19” alloy wheels, clearance and backup sensors, Lexus navigation with remote coupled to a 10.3” touchscreen, a driver seat memory system, a heated power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, auto dimming memory mirrors and adaptive front lighting system.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Ultra-Luxury Package builds on the Luxury package and ads a panoramic view monitor and an enhanced Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio 17-speaker system with a new amplifier offering an impressive 1,800 watts.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD F SPORT Series 1 enhances the entry-level model with 19” F SPORT rims, ventilated front seats, a power moonroof, F SPORT design enhancements and an LFA-style full TFT gauge cluster.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD F SPORT Series 2 builds on this, adding Lexus navigation with remote coupled to a 10.3” touchscreen, a driver seat memory system, a heated steering wheel and auto dimming memory mirrors.
For buyers who crave maximum power, the 2021 Lexus IS 350 AWD F SPORT Series 2, powered by a 3.5-litre V6 that produces 311 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of peak torque, coupled a six-speed automatic transmission, offers all the features and upgrades of the IS 300 F SPORT Series 2 model.
This model can be enhanced with another F Sport package:
- The 2021 Lexus IS 350 AWD F SPORT Series 3 is the sportiest IS available. Built on the F SPORT Series 2 model, it adds the Dynamic Handling Package. This includes unique 19” forged BBS wheels, Adaptive Variable Suspension with SPORT+ mode, a carbon fibre spoiler and carbon fibre mirror covers as well as silver wood interior accents. It is also equipped with exclusive triple LED headlamps.