Available in front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models with a conventional gas powertrain, or in all-wheel drive models powered by hybrid technology.
“Highlander is many things – a multi-purpose command centre, a place to connect with family, a weekend-warrior getaway vehicle, and a sanctuary from the everyday,” said Cyril Dimitris, Vice President, Toyota Canada. “Whatever you throw at it, Highlander rises to the occasion with grace and poise.”
For 2021, Toyota Canada introduces a new sport-model – the Toyota Highlander XSE, featuring a second row captain’s chairs and a long list of sporty styling features, inside and out.
Under the hood, all Toyota Canada offers one front wheel drive and five all-wheel drive Highlander models powered by a conventional drive train, plus a further four all-wheel drive Highlander Hybrid.
Gas models are built around a 3.5-litre V6 coupled to an 8-speed automatic transmission. This powertrain delivers a peak 295 horsepower and a fuel efficiency rating of 10.3L / 100km (city/highway combined).
Hybrid models feature the Toyota Hybrid. This system, custom-configured for the Highlander Hybrid, is built around an Atkinson cycle 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine coupled to a continuously variable transmission. The Highlander Hybrid achieves 243 peak horsepower and a fuel efficiency rating of just 6.7L / 100km (city/highway combined) – and never needs to be plugged in.
The 2021 Toyota Highlander and Highlander Hybrid are also the first Highlanders to feature Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ –Toyota’s bundle of active safety technologies that help extend the driver’s awareness and ability to avoid collisions or mitigate their effect. New features in this bundle include left turn intersection support and Emergency Steering Assist (ESA), which is designed to assist steering within the vehicle’s lane as cued by the driver. Dynamic Radar Cruise Control now features curve speed management, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist now includes enhanced line and road recognition, and Lane Trace Assist now features quicker control and stability after a lane change. The Toyota Star Safety System, a back-up camera, and eight air bags are also included.
Inside, there’s room for eight adults with three-row seating – or seven on models that replace the second-row bench seat with a pair of captain’s chairs. Second and third row seats fold away easily when more space is needed for cargo. Large doors provide easy access to the third row.
Every model includes a touchscreen-equipped display audio system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, a multi-information display, Toyota’s Smart Key System with Push Button Start, a power-adjustable driver’s seat, electronic parking brake, and LED headlamps. Additional features vary by trim level.
The Highlander is available in one front-wheel drive and five all-wheel drive models covering a range of trim levels, as follows:
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander L FWD features an 8” touch screen display audio system, 4.2” colour multi-information display, 18” alloy wheels, heated front seats, 8-way power driver seat and the Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander LE AWD includes all features in the front wheel drive version, plus the additional all-weather driving confidence of the Dynamic Torque Control AWD system with rear driveline disconnect and multi-terrain mode system. This model also includes the Audio Plus package – featuring Toyota Safety Connect – and integrated Sirius XM satellite radio.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD upgrades the Highlander to the Audio Plus with Remote package – including Safety Connect, Service Connect, and Remote Connect. Other upgrades include a 7” multi-information display, unique 18” alloy wheels, SofTex seat cladding, a power-adjustable front passenger’s seat, LED fog lamps, a power moon roof, an auto-dimming rear view mirror with HomeLink, chrome roof rails, SofTex-clad steering wheel and shifter, a power lift gate, and an anti-theft system.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander XSE AWD is an all-new model for 2021, applying performance upgrades and sporty styling and features to Highlander. Starting with the XLE model, the XSE features a sport-tuned suspension, second-row captain’s chairs, sporty 20” alloy wheels, black roof rails and mirror caps, and a dual-tip exhaust. Toyota designers then applied XSE styling to the grille and front and rear bumpers. Headlamps and tail lamps receive smoked surrounds, while the interior is given a unique, sporty treatment including sporty ambient lighting.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD builds on the XLE with more premium features. These include the Premium Audio with Remote package – featuring Safety Connect, Service Connect, and Remote Connect plus embedded navigation and Destination Assist. Other upgrades include Toyota’s Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system, an 11-speaker, 1200 watt JBL Surround Sound audio system, 20” alloy wheels, leather trimmed seats, heated and ventilated front seats with a driver’s seat memory system, a heated steering wheel, a wireless charging system for personal electronics, a panoramic moon roof, premium LED headlamps, a 120v/100 watt power outlet, and a hands-free power lift gate. Safety systems are enhanced with the Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Rear Cross Traffic Brake.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD enhances the Limited model with a 12.3” display system with swipe feature, unique Platinum-grade 20” alloy wheels, heated second row captain’s chairs, a digital display rear view mirror, the panoramic view monitor, rain sensing wipers and a head-up display. This model is then finished with several platinum-grade interior and exterior styling cues.
The all-wheel-drive Highlander Hybrid also offers an impressive range of choice, with models and trim levels as follows:
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE brings the power of Toyota’s hybrid powertrain technology to the Highlander. This model features an 8” touch screen display audio system and is impressively equipped with many premium features, including 18” alloy wheels, a three-zone independent automatic climate control system, the Audio Plus package, integrated Sirius XM satellite radio, a 4.2” colour multi-information display, LED headlamps and fog lamps, heated front seats, SofTex-clad steering wheel and shifter, a power lift gate, and the Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE builds on the LE mode, adding XLE-grade 18” alloy wheels, Audio Plus with Remote, a 7” multi-information display, power moon roof, SofTex seat cladding, a power adjustable front passenger’s seat, auto-dimming rear view mirror with HomeLink, chrome roof rails, and an anti-theft system.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited builds on the XLE model, upgrading it with 20” alloy wheels, an 11-speaker, 1200 watt JBL Surround Sound audio system with Clari-Fi, the Premium Audio with Remote package including embedded navigation and Destination Assist, premium LED headlamps, leather-trimmed seats, and heated and ventilated front seats with a driver’s seat memory system. It then adds a number of style, comfort, and technology features, including, a panoramic moon roof, wireless charging system for personal electronics, heated steering wheel, the Intelligent Clearance Sonar system with Rear Cross Traffic Braking, a hands-free power lift gate, and two 110v, 1500 watt high-output outlets.
- The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum enhances the Limited model with many top of the line premium features and amenities. These include unique platinum grade 20” alloy wheels, a 12.3” display audio system with swipe feature, a head-up display system, digital display rear view mirror, heated second-row captain’s chairs, the Bird’s Eye View Monitor, and rain-sensing wipers. This model is then finished with unique platinum-grade styling cues, inside and out.
The 2021 Toyota Highlander and Highlander Hybrid are now on sale at Toyota Dealers across Canada.