The winners of the 2021 autoTRADER.ca Awards were announced.
A fine selection of newcomer nameplates joined the winner’s circle for the first time—the Kia Seltos, Hyundai Sonata and the Genesis GV80. Other vehicles that secured a repeat victory for the second year in a row include the Chrysler Pacifica and the Kia Telluride.
Each year, Canada’s leading automotive marketplace and trusted source for vehicle research evaluates more than 350 cars to determine the best new vehicles across 22 categories. The award-winning cars are voted on by a jury of over 20 expert automotive journalists, who evaluate each vehicle according to 12 key criteria of utmost importance to car shoppers.
The judging criteria included assessing the vehicles for their value, innovation, performance, technology and onboard features, engineering excellence, user-friendliness, driving satisfaction, design, quality of materials, fuel efficiency, safety and overall excellence.
2021 autoTRADER.ca Award Winners
- Best Overall Car – Genesis G70
- Best Overall SUV – Volvo XC40
- Best Overall Truck – Ram 1500
- Best Minivan – Chrysler Pacifica/Grand Caravan
- Best Green Vehicle Under $50K – Toyota RAV4 Hybrid/Prime
- Best Green Vehicle Over $50K – Porsche Taycan
- Best Mid-Size Truck – Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon
- Best Full-Size Truck – Ram 1500
- Best Subcompact SUV – Kia Seltos
- Best 2-Row SUV – Toyota RAV4
- Best 3-Row SUV – Kia Telluride
- Best Subcompact Luxury SUV – Volvo XC40
- Best 2-Row Luxury SUV – Porsche Macan
- Best 3-Row Luxury SUV – Genesis GV80
- Best Subcompact Car – Kia Rio
- Best Compact Car – Mazda3
- Best Family Sedan – Hyundai Sonata
- Best Wagon – Volvo V60/V60 Cross Country
- Best Performance Car Under $50K – Mazda MX-5
- Best Performance Car Over $50K – Chevrolet Corvette
- Best Compact Luxury Car – Genesis G70
- Best Large Luxury Car – Genesis G90
A key difference between the autoTRADER.ca Awards and other automotive awards programs in Canada is that the autoTRADER.ca Awards program considers every new vehicle available on the market, not only those that have been redesigned for the model year. As a result, the autoTRADER.ca Awards evaluated the broadest selection of vehicles available to Canadians in the 2021 model year.
“Year after year, vehicle manufacturers keep upping their game to improve the quality, value and performance of their vehicles,” says Jodi Lai, Editor-in-Chief, autoTRADER.ca. “Most cars these days are great, but our awards aim to separate the great cars from the award-winning cars, which are ones that our experts feel confident recommending to Canadians. The winning vehicles are ones that our experts feel go above and beyond.”