The EV6, Kia’s first all-electric vehicle, is expected to arrive in early 2022.
The brand has made a limited number of the all-wheel-drive, long-range EV6 (GT Line option model) available to its customers.
The EV6 sets new standards in electrification with unique design elements, thoughtful convenience features and advanced technologies that enhance safety and the driving experience.
Despite early reservations, customers can contact their dealer for 2022 deliveries.
“The EV6 lays the foundation for Kia’s future in design and technological advancement,” said Elias El-Achhab, vice president and chief operating officer of Kia Canada.
“The EV6 embodies the new Kia brand and, as Kia’s first-ever all-electric vehicle, sets the tone for our Plan S strategy. We look forward to seeing Canadians get behind the wheel of this new vehicle and enjoy the new experiences associated with this new era of transportation electrification led by Kia.”
Built on the international electric and modular platform (E-GMP), the EV6 will be offered with a choice of rear or all-wheel drive.
It is powered by a lithium-ion battery whose performance will suit all types of drivers.
The estimated range of this battery is up to 480 kilometers on some models:
- Rear-wheel drive: 58.0 kWh battery, 125 kW rear motor
- Rear drive: 77.4 kWh battery, 168 kW rear motor
- All-wheel drive: 77.4 kWh battery, 74 kW front motor and 165 kW rear motor
- All-wheel drive: 77.4 kWh battery, 160 kW front motor and 270 kW rear motor
- The GT model will be available later in 2022
The EV6 is equipped with a patented multiple charging system, which can provide fast charging at 800 V and 400 V without a separate controller:
- 800V DC fast charging can add nearly 100 kilometers of additional capacity in less than 5 minutes
- It can also add up to 380 km (by recharging the battery from 10% to 80%) in less than 18 minutes
- On-Board Charger (OBC) Level 2 charges the EV6 with the larger 77.4 kWh battery from 10 to 100% in 7 hours and 10 minutes (240V AC at 48A)
In addition, the EV6 will offer, specifically for the Canadian market, an optional heat pump that recycles heat loss to help maintain the vehicle’s electric range at low temperatures.
Included for the first time on the Soul EV, the EV6’s next-generation heat pump recycles not only heat from the air, but also waste heat from the vehicle’s various electronic components, increasing its capacity.
New battery system
Innovative and practical, the EV6 includes the optional V2L technology that transforms the EV6 into a 1.9 kW power source.
The on-board charging control unit (ICCU) reverses the flow of electricity from the battery, allowing it to be used to power electronic and electrical devices.
The driver can charge or use his laptop or phone, turn on a spotlight to light up a camping party, or power a generator, a household appliance or even, in an emergency, another electric vehicle.
- A 120V power outlet is located under the rear seat, in the center (internal V2L outlet, a first for Kia)
- An external V2L socket is located at the rear of the vehicle on the passenger side. It emits 1.9 kW and can also be used to recharge another vehicle (V2V technology) in case of emergency.
Modern exterior and interior
The design philosophy of the united opposites, which will guide the design of all future Kia models, is found for the first time on the EV6.
The exterior design of the EV6 has remarkable contours and features that leave no one indifferent.
It includes, in particular:
- Daytime running lights with moving lights inspired by electronic pixels
- A hood cut out as an extension of the front wing
- A side sill trim at the bottom of the doors, visually connecting the side and rear of the vehicle
- Three unique wheel designs for a high-tech look
- Full LED taillights with integrated flashing, standard on all models
The interior of the EV6 includes:
- A panoramic curved display with two 12.3-inch connected screens (for the dashboard and the navigator)
- Push-button start and rotary speed change, conveniently positioned within easy reach
- An uncluttered and minimalist structure in a large, light, simple and resolutely unique driving space
- Unparalleled interior storage space, including an interior console with armrest and wide open space, a huge glove box and coat hooks behind both front seats
- Thin, lightweight seats with a contemporary design and sturdy fabrics made from recycled materials equivalent to 111 plastic water bottles
The EV6 includes many smart and thoughtful features to enhance the driver’s experience:
- A Kia first: the EV6 is equipped with an optional augmented reality head-up display (AR-HUD)iv that matches safety warnings and driving information to the road or vehicle ahead
- Navigator with route tracking
- Track Safety Information
- Vehicle ahead indicator and safety information
- Integrated infotainment and climate control buttons make operation of the systems more intuitive, while enhancing the appearance of the interior
- Active Sound Design (ASD) allows you to choose from three types of driving sounds for a truly unique experience
Driver assistance systems
Kia prioritizes safety in all its designs and the EV6 is no exception.
It is equipped with 21 active driver assistance systems (ADAS) including, among others:
- Intelligent Remote Parking Assistance (IRPA)
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance (BCA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA)
- Other standard aspects of FCA also include FCA-Ped (pedestrians), FCA-LS (lateral lane change), FCA-LO (lane change for oncoming vehicles), FCA-JC (intersections), FCA-JT (turns).
- Automatic headlights (HBA)
- Highway Driving Assistance II (HDA 2)
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)
- Intelligent Cruise Control with Navigator Control (NSCC-C)
- Rear Cross Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA)