The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado boasts newer technologies to deliver better performance.
Available on LT, RST, LTZ, and High Country models, the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado’s advanced 3.0L Duramax inline-six turbo-diesel engine adds choice and versatility for full-size light-duty truck customers. The all-new engine incorporates advanced combustion and emissions technologies, offering a range of six propulsion choices, each tailored to suit customers’ needs for performance, efficiency, technology, and value.
“From the moment the engine is started to its idle, acceleration and highway cruising, the 3.0L Duramax performance will change perceptions of what a diesel engine can offer in refinement,” said Nicola Menarini, Director for Diesel Truck Engine Program Execution. “With advanced technologies that draw on global diesel expertise, it’s a no-compromise choice for those who want the capability and driving range of a diesel in a light-duty truck.”
The new engine is rated an SAE-certified 277 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque delivering 95% of peak torque at just 1,250 rpm, while peak torque is sustained from 1,500 rpm through 3,000 rpm. Paired with GM’s 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission, the Silverado offers a more refined and a smoother drive.
Engine, combustions, and emissions technologies optimize performance and efficiency. The Silverado boasts a reduced overall mass, a DOHC cylinder head and rear cam drive, tuned air induction system and other noise-attenuating elements and an inline-six architecture.
“In addition to reduced friction, the architecture enables smooth operation,” Menarini said. “The new Duramax 3.0L elevates the 2019 Silverado with one of the most refined and efficient diesel engines in the segment.”
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado also utilizes several other technologies that improve its general performance. Some of these technologies include:
- Variable geometry turbocharging–adjusts boost pressure (maximum 43,5 psi) to the desired value on engine running conditions and instantaneous power demand;
- Low-pressure EGR–Exhaust Gas Recirculation lowers combustion temperatures and rates, supporting continual adjustment of exhaust backpressure for more efficient operations;
- Variable intake manifold–improves airflow into the engine and improves performance and responsiveness across the rpm band, particularly at lower engine speeds;
- Variable-pressure oiling system–optimizes oil pressure as a function of engine speed and load;
- Oil jets– reduce piston temperature, allowing the engine to produce more power and enhance long-term durability;
- Active Thermal Management–helps the engine warm up quickly to achieve and maintain its optimal temperature;
- Common rail direct fuel injection–35,250 psi helps generate class-leading horsepower and torque, smooth idle, and lower combustion noise;
- Electronic throttle valve–regulates intake manifold pressure to optimize exhaust gas recirculation rates and smooth engine shutdown;
- Ceramic glow plugs–helps the engine start and heat up more quickly in cold weather, with unassisted starting at -30 C and assisted starting at -40 C; and
- Stop and start technology–boosts efficiency in city driving.