B.C. municipality receives a Platinum Award from E3 Fleet.
The city of Richmond, B.C. has become the first municipality to receive a Platinum Rating from E3 Fleet, a national program that recognizes excellence in fleet management and environmental performance.
“Richmond has long been committed to energy use reduction through innovation and conservation,” said Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie. “Our Green Fleet program provides tremendous benefits for our community including reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and fuel costs.”
To optimize the performance of its fleet, the City of Richmond Fleet Operations Department took several key steps:
– adopted a green fleet plan;
– implemented better tracking and analysis of fleet data, including data on fuel use;
– “right-sized” the fleet in all vehicle classes (light, medium and heavy duty) by choosing more efficient vehicles suited to the task;
– trained staff on fuel management and fuel-efficient driving practices; and
– replaced vehicles when due for replacement, to minimize repair costs and fuel use.
The department has installed 10 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations across Richmond. It is also now retrofitting some vehicles with solar panels, supporting an interactive anti-idling campaign, piloting GPS use to manage fuel consumption and supporting and using car-sharing services.