NAFA members approve changes to bylaws that allow Affiliates to vote, as well as serve on the board
Earlier this month, NAFA Members overwhelmingly approved changes to the Association’s bylaws, giving suppliers the ability to vote and serve on the national board.
“This has been a long time coming,” said NAFA President Ruth Alfson, CAFM. “NAFA’s bylaws had remained virtually the same since the day NAFA was incorporated in 1957, so it is about time we recognized our Affiliates as the valued partners they are. Besides that, though, this is the right strategic move for NAFA to make.”
The changes to NAFA’s bylaws include:
• Redefine who qualifies as a Member and supplier, allowing any individual who manages a fleet, or whose job responsibilities include at least one of the core disciplines of fleet management (as defined by NAFA), regardless of the size of the fleet, to qualify for membership in a new membership category called “Regular Members.”
• Bestow voting rights to all Regular Members, Associate Members (formerly known as Affiliates), Honorary Members, and Retired Members.
• Enhance the composition of, as well as the election process to, the leadership board of NAFA. Now up to 5 of the 13 members of the Board can be Associate Members (Affiliates).
• Create a “Leadership Advisory Board” to help direct NAFA’s strategic efforts, taking the place of the former Board of Delegates and Board of Governors.
• Include a provision to allow some or all of the duties of the Secretary/Treasurer to be performed by NAFA’s professional staff.
• Designate the Immediate Past President as Chair of the Nominating Committee each year.
NAFA Affiliates and Regional Affiliates are immediately entitled to all the new rights and privileges contained in the amendments. This includes the ability to be considered as a candidate for the new Board of Directors.
However, due to the number and complexity of updates required to NAFA’s databases and websites, NAFA will continue to use the current membership category labels of “Full Member,” “Associate Member,” “Affiliate,” “Regional Affiliate,” and “Alumni” until May 2017.