To help drivers avoid crashes, Nissan will offer Safety Shield 360, a suite of six active safety technologies, as standard equipment on 11 models beginning in 2021.
October 18-24 is National Teen Driver Safety Week, an annual reminder for parents to have conversations with teens about rules to stay safe behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among teens aged 16-19 than among any other age group; the risk is particularly high during the first months of driving.
Advanced driver assistance technology included in Nissan’s Safety Shield 360 can help to reduce crashes, which may be attributable to driver inexperience. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, vehicles equipped with Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking experience a 56 percent reduction in crashes with injuries. IIHS also reports that back-up crashes went down by 78 percent in vehicles equipped with Rear Automatic Braking and by 22 percent in vehicles with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Nissan currently offers Safety Shield 360 standard on Sentra, LEAF, Maxima, Qashqai and TITAN. Safety Shield 360 will also be standard on 2021 Rogue and on three additional models to be announced in the coming months. The all-new 2020 Sentra and 2021 Rogue both have some of the most standard safety features in their respective classes.
Nissan Safety Shield 360 includes six advanced systems:
- Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection – uses forward-facing radar and camera technology to track vehicles and crossing pedestrians, can give audible and visual warnings and apply braking to help avoid or reduce the severity of frontal collisions
- Lane Departure Warning – can alert the driver of drifting from the lane with a visual warning and audible or haptic signals
- High Beam Assist – automatically switches to low beam headlights when it detects a vehicle ahead and turns the high beams back on when appropriate
- Blind Spot Warning – helps spot vehicles in driver’s blind spot areas
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – can warn the driver about detected approaching vehicles when reversing out of a parking spot
- Rear Automatic Braking – helps detect stationary objects when backing up and, if necessary, applies the brakes to help avoid a collision.